Macey wanted to run for student council (she wants to do after school choir too-how do I stop this??? she wants to do everything!). I remembered those days when I was the secretary , but that was 6th grade! At Simonton they were letting 4th and 5th graders run since there are no 6th graders at their school this year.
...
So, the paper came home and I had Macey discuss it with her dad. He signed the paper and later told me that they discussed her running for $treasurer$ so we built a "campaign" all around being treasurer. Well, when Macey's teacher read the ballot to the class the day before the preliminary election Macey's name was under Vice President so of course I had to contact the teacher in charge of student council and fugure out what was going on. Apparently, it had definitely been marked Vice President (that's what happens when 8 yr olds and dads fill out papers I guess). Basically, we had to choose from running against 17 other kids as treasurer (which is funny because she chose treasurer thinking not many people would run for that and that had the highest number of people!) and having the teachers hand edit the ballots or run against 12 other kids as VP and hope that the name recognition would be enough because all of the posters and stuff said treasurer not VP. Macey chose to take the option that had less competition, but probably a tougher competition once we found out who else was running for VP.
....
So, the next morning I was editing posters and printing new stickers for her to hand out. She made it through the preliminary elections which brought it down to 4 kids in each category.
....
Then it was speech time. We practiced and practiced and she said she did good so then it was just the waiting game.
....
We were heading out of town and had to pull Macey out of school early so we had to rely on other people texting me the results and we were happy to find out that Macey WON!!!!!
....
Her first order of business was assisting the fundraiser people with the prizes during the assembly-which she was happy to do! I am glad she won and will get this experience!
***********
As a side note for journaling purposes: Scott was put in as the Young Men's President about a month ago and is in heaven. He loves the boys. Now all of the boys he had as Deacons are Priests so it is fun for him to be with them again. Now he has to get them all on missions which is a huge responsibility and one he does not take lightly. I know he will be awesome! Scott is totally a kid at heart and the boys respond well to him too. One of them was even "raising the roof" when it came time to raise their hands to sustain him.
3 comments:
That's awewsome...and funny. I loved being in student council as a kid. It makes you feel so important. :)
Wow! Go Macey! What drive she has! I was always too chicken to run for anything for fear of no one liking me! Even with the mix-up, she rocked it! Wow, Young Men's President! Nice! I think he'll do great and the boys will have fun with him! He was always one of my favorite 'older' cousins when it came to hanging out and playing games!!
Tell Macey that she is awesome. Congratulations!
Post a Comment