I had the great opprotunity to attend a "body image" presentation tonight along with the young women and it was awesome! I would not say that I have a body image problem ( I just recently decided to be more conscious about my overall health which would result in a healthier looking body), but I definitely benefited from the information especially when it comes to dealing with my own daughters and the pressure they will/do deal with in this world we live in.
***
This was one of the videos that they showed in the presentation that shows how [unrealistic] it is to achieve this look! It's great! I do not think I realized all that they could do with those programs.
***
There were a lot of great things said and I could not possibly type them all here, but a few things stood out to me...
One of the sisters giving the presentation had a story about when she was pregnant with her first child and some older ladies she worked with took her to lunch and were very concerned for her. They went on to tell here that the baby will be really ugly when it is born, but not to worry that it would be better in a few days. She remarked how after she had her baby her immediate reaction was how {beautiful} her baby was and how certain she was, that all of our moms had the same feeling when we were born.
***
She also had another story about when her and her daughter were checking out from the ENT doctor and the receptionist proceeded to tell her that she had seen a lot of noses and that she definitely had the smallest nose she had ever seen. Not in a nice "oh how cute" kind of way. And she recalls how her daughter automatically put her hand to her nose because she had her mothers nose and until that moment she had never even had the thought that her nose was not perfect.
***
I can't even tell you how great it was and that they need to put it in video form so that all women can see it and these poor ladies don't have to personally keep doing this presentation! I know they are competely booked through September so if they happen to be coming to your ward and you have the chance to attend it's a must!
***
One last thing that they talked about that hit home with me and I thought was really funny...The sister was referring to the media, commercials, magazines, etc. that we allow in our homes when she said..If there was a lion loose in your neighborhood would you open the door? Well, h%&! no! (that was my quote) This is so hilarious to me because I actually have nightmares of running into a lion or a tiger loose on the streets and the anxiety of how to get away from it so it was a strong metaphor to me. Why would we invite these things in our lives?!?!?
***
Anyways, it was an awesome presentation and I hope that the young women took it to heart because they are bombarded more and more by satan's attack on the one thing he does not have-a human body. Anyone with a body has the power to resist whatever satan throws at them. I just hope that I can instill a good sense of self in my daughters so that they are not influenced by these pressures.
*****
P.S. After I posted this I thought of one more thing...My what big hips you have (imagine little red riding hood) oh these are too birth children with. HAHAHA-I crack myself up sometimes-especially into the late hours of the night. The sister did touch on the fact that we were given these bodies to birth children and what a miracle that is and that we should appreciate the hips, boobs and body changes that come with it. So appropriate to appreciate as we approach Mother's Day.
2 comments:
I'm go glad you posted this. I was SO upset that I wouldn't be able to go (Brandon had mutual) so thanks for summarizing it for us! That is really awesome.
I loved the post edit. You are so funny!
Post a Comment