Friday, February 8, 2008

Seeing Purple




Claire has thrush and just when we think it is gone, it's back. I have been treating it with gentian violet which works pretty well and quicker than Nystatin, but it stains everything including skin. I will gladly take any suggestions from any of you mothers out there on how to get rid of this once and for all.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Yuck! I hate thrush, but at least you're not nursing anymore. I did the same purple stuff and the only thing that would get rid of it for good was baby Diflucan, if my next baby gets thrush I'm going straight for that instead of anything else because this went on for three months. Plus I had it on me from nursing, OUCH!

Cresta said...

The gentian violet is what cured it for us - hang in there!

Unknown said...

Another thing you can do is start giving her acidophilous in her bottles if you ever pump or are formula feeding. You can buy it in powder form, and it helps ward off the yeast that grows in their mouths. Both of my girls had thrush for pretty much the entire time I was nursing, and it was really hard! You can also ask the DR. to give both of you a perscription of Diflucan to rid both of you of any remaining yucks.