As I sit here an think about how our mornings go as I send the kids off to school and into the world, I am thinking about the world today and how the divide between the righteous and the world and how it is becoming greater. How my kids have to grow up in this world where their morals, ideals and beliefs are challenged on a daily basis, most of the time very subtly. How making the right choices will make them the minority. How even many in the gospel are blurring the lines between the righteous and worldly ways. It makes me cry and feel inadequate as a parent and as an individual. It reminds me that I need to be better in everything, but especially preparing my kids to be able to withstand Satan's influences.
Some quotes from the beloved Gordon B. Hinkley....
"I do not advocate a retreat from society. On the contrary, we have a responsibility and a challenge to take our places in the world of business, science, government, medicine, education, and every other worthwhile and constructive vocation. We have an obligation to train our hands and minds to excel in the work of the world for the blessing of all mankind. In so doing we must work with others. But this does not require a surrender of standards."
"Unless the world alters the course of its present trends (and that is not likely); and if, on the other hand, we continue to follow the teachings of the prophets, we shall increasingly become a peculiar and distinctive people of whom the world will take note. For instance, as the integrity of the family crumbles under worldly pressures, our position on the sanctity of the family will become more obvious and even more peculiar in contrast, if we have the faith to maintain that position."
Another simple quote that comes to mind is...."Just because everyone else is doing it, it doesn't make it right".
Just some introspection.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That was well said, Melody. I think about this a lot, too. Especially with the blurred lines in the church. It is easy to say to your non-LDS friend, 'well this is what we do because that's what our beliefs are.' It is much harder to combat the trends within the church that conveniently mirror the trends of the world. I've recently been trying to renew my efforts at home with my children. We've been trying to be religious (no pun intended) about our family prayers and helping them establish a habit and practice of personal prayer. I think that will help them the most. Scriptures, too. You are a great mom and Scott is a great dad. Your kids will choose to do the right thing, because that's what they've seen their parents doing. Keep up the good work! Sorry for the long comment...loved the President Hinckley quote.
That's so true, I hate to think about the direction the world is going and how quickly. It makes me want to do all that I can to prepare them... or not let them out of my sight! Those are all really great quotes from President Hinkley.
Post a Comment